Sunday, September 2, 2012

Joseph Barron (1823- ?)

Joseph Barron has become my first brick wall in family tree research.  This man has been a mystery to me since I first started in researching him, I have struggled with him. I also found out that I wasn't the only one who has struggled with him. I found that Garmon and Wanda Estes had a problem with him. I made it my mission to get pass this brick wall.

When I first started with him all I had was a name and a date when he was born and his wife name. I went on ancestry.com and started going into census records, started with John Taylor his son since I was able to find so easily. In 1860 Joseph and John Lived in Lamoine McDonough Co. Ill. Joseph was 37 yrs old a Cooper Labor he had personal estate value at 120 stated he was born in Indiana. His wife Martha (Mertha) was 31 yr old and was born in NC. Martha Maiden name is Kennedy on that census there is a John Kennedy that was 55 yrs old from NC a Mery (Mary) 38 yrs old born in Ill. Laura 21 yr old born in Ill and a William 19 yrs old born in Ill. ( I believe that these are Martha family).  Joesph and Martha had 2 children on the census John Taylor at 10 yrs old and Thomas E. at 8 yrs old. They were married 10 Jun 1847 in McDonough Co. according to LDS ( they have him named as Joseph Barrow)

I continue my search going to the 1870 in the same location and found Joseph again, this time he is 47 yrs old a farm labor still saying he is born in Ind. His wife Martha 41 yrs old, by this time John became a blacksmith at 20 yrs old and Thomas is 18 yrs old and they now have a sister name Mary A. 8 yrs old.

I continue on to the 1880 census records, this time I couldn't find them in Ill. But I did find them in White Mound Jewell Co. Kansas. Joseph is now 57 yrs old and a wagon maker and he had Neuralgia ( sever pain, similar to real bad headaches) he still stated he was born in Ind. and that his father was born in KY and his mother too.  Martha 54 yrs old and her parents were born in NC.  I also looked for There son Thomas and I found him in the same town,  he was 29 yrs old a wagon maker stating that his father was born in Ind and mother in NC. He had a wife name Mealissa J. ( Melissa) 30 yrs old born in Ill. Father and mother born in VA. they had a daughter name Cora D. 6 yrs old born in Ill. a son Edward D 3 yrs old born in Ill another daughter 4 months old born in Jan in Kansas and a sister in law name Sarah M. Parks 24 yrs old who was a school teacher born in Ill. I would est. that they ( Joseph and his children ) came to Kansas between 1877 and Jan 1880. Due to the children ages. I also would say that Joseph came to Kansas around the same time and I think Joseph and Thomas worked together making wagons. I have no idea what happen to Mary. ( she may have passed away or have gotten married)

I continue on with my search to 1885 Kansas state census, this time I found him in Salem Allen Co. Kansas. 61 yrs old farmer. This census had his civil war information. He got a honorable discharge, he enlisted in Ohio in company H regiment 39, infantry. Martha was 55 yrs.

Then I lost them, the 1990 census were burned up in a major fire so that was a dead end. I tried the 1900s and nothing. I kept looking in Ancestry.com through their records.I did find a California Voter Register On Nov 4th 1877 he was on it as  miner in New River age 54. There was another Barron ( John M) born in KY a blacksmith Apr 2 1877 I am not too sure if he is related or not ( will have to research him out).  From this record I believe he was in California trying to strike it rich with the gold rush. The family might have traveled to California and then came to Kansas on there way back to Ill. or back to Kansas if they came earlier than 1877. To be close to family.

When I was researching Joseph here was my problem I couldn't find his parents. At first I though he might be the same Barron as Joseph Barron the famous Indian interpreter from Canada that lived in Ind. but I search out his tree and found no Joseph with the same or similar birth year that was married to a Martha and had a some name John Taylor. The census records pointed out that he was born in Indiana, but I couldn't find any Joseph born there that fit his age. I recalled on the 1880 census that said his father was born in KY, I started searching that direction. I was able to find a John M. Barron who had a son name Joseph who was born the same yr as our Joseph and stated he was born in KY, The Kentucky Barron's moved from KY to Ill. Fulton Co. in 1830 which was the next county over from McDonough Co.  I was able to get a a hold of a couple Barron's from that family group and they said our Joseph is their Joseph that the dates match up to what they had of him. At times I still debated whether it be true or not, but I kept reminding myself of the dates and how they weren't matching up to the other Barron's.

The beginning of this past summer my cousin David gave me some family tree goodies that was passed onto him from uncle Garmon. I was looking through it and I was reading his research on Joseph, and this was a big help for me, he talked about how he found Joseph in Ill. and struggled with it. Lafayette Barron told Garmon that Joseph had a cousin name Miles Barron. I found out later that Miles is ( Miles Knowlton Barron ) is the youngest of 17 children and Joseph Barron is his second oldest brother. Miles was born in Ill. and Joseph was born in Ky. He did live in Coffeyville Kansas and John Taylor Barron would go visit relatives there according to the newspaper, which I believe is Miles family. I was looking at a death cert. of John Taylor Barron and it stated that his father was born in KY.

 I strongly believe that Joseph is the son of John M Barron who was born abt. 1800 Pittsylvania Co. Virginia and married  in 18 Sept 1820 in Hardin Co. KY to his mother is is Sarah Tweedell born 1802 in Pittsylvania Co. Virginia.  She died 11 Apr 1880 Virginia. ( I believe that some of her relatives lived in McDonough Ill. and that is why Joseph was there in the first place) John M. Parents are John M Barron Sr. born abt 1770 in Charles Co. Maryland and Susan Mattingly born abt 1760 St. Marys Co Maryland. Died 1845 Milam Texas.

Now Joseph and Martha is still a mystery as to where they have died at, I have no idea where they are buried at. I believe they are somewhere in Allen Co. Kansas.  I am hoping to find someone who can help me with this. I would be great to find his tombstone and get a date of his and Martha death. I saw in the Iola Newspaper on 16 Apr 1886 that old Barron is dying from typhoid fever I have no idea if this is Joseph or not.


No comments:

Post a Comment