Wednesday, May 26, 2021

Mattingly Family

5/26/2021

Its been awhile since I have updated my family tree blogs. I am hoping to do so. I have much to share on the various family lines. 

My 5th great grandmother is Susan Mattingly. She married John Barron between 1791-1796, I believe in Nelson Co. Kentucky. This area of Kentucky use to be Virginia. Their son Thomas Hudson Barron was born in 1796. I saw someone a long time ago stating on their tree that he was born in Grayson Co. and without much research I added that info onto my tree. Years later after reviewing. I believe it is wrong, due to Grayson was formed in 1810 from Hardin Co. Hardin Co was formed from Nelson Co in 1792.

 The Mattingly's came to this area in about 1786. 

Susan Mattingly was married prior to John Barron. According to a letter written in 1893 by Benjamin Barron ( grandson of Susan Mattingly and John Barron) to Miles or Matthew Barron ( not sure which) his brother. Stating that Susan Mattingly was their grandmother. That she married Joseph Dixon , and they had 4 children name Joseph, Sophia Tracy, and Ann. Sophia married David Allen. Ann married William Johnson and Tracy married John Medcalf. 

I did find on Sophia marriage record that states John Barron being her step father of her in 1805 in Nelson Co. I did find William Johnson and Joseph Dixon living next to each on the 1820 federal census for Bradstown, Nelson Kentucky. On the previous page their is a Phillip Mattingly born 1788. His father I believe is Philip who was one of the first settlers in the area. I don't have any information on him except that his was baptized in St Mary's Maryland in 1761 his godparents were Peter and Marget Mattingly. 

Back to Susan children by her first marriage I did find William Johnson and John Medcalf living next to John Barron the son of John Barron and Susan Mattingly in Hardin Co Kentucky in 1830.

I saw some other family trees that stated Leonard Mattingly has a daughter name Susannah and some had Susan. I thought Leonard Mattingly may have been her father. I tried to use DNA on Ancestry to try to prove this relationship awhile back ago I had many DNA matches to this Mattingly group, but years has passed and Ancestry has removed many matches. I may have lost the connection to Leonard's family group as a positive link, linking Susan to him. I did see that Leonard's daughter Susannah married Absolm Ray and I almost thought it was my gal, but the dates don't match up along with the location where they lived. That marriage record was for 1792 and they had 8 children and lived in Merion Co. scratched that idea. 

Back to the drawing board. Leonard had a couple brothers that came to Kentucky. One of them was William. On one of the family trees it states that he had a daughter name Susan. Is his daughter my gal? I have no idea yet. Also there was Philip Mattingly who was born 1761, now Susan was supposedly born in 1760. Is Philip her brother? I have no idea. I will need to check this out further. 

I have not found a marriage record between Susan and John Barron yet. Nor any marriage record of her being married to Joseph Dixon either. So the mystery remains. 

Tip: Its always a good idea to revisit your family tree to see if you can find anything new. And to double check your research. When I first was working on this line it was back in 2012. Yes, that was a long time ago and I wasn't too experience with researching. Today I am able to see my mistakes, and keep finding new information. I still make mistakes, but able to see them a bit quicker and correct them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment